Friday, January 24, 2014

Snapshots




"We compare all of ourselves to other's snapshots and highlights of other's peoples lives when we can't see all of everyone else." 
The other night, I went to a hall event with my dorm-mates called Stand-Up For Your Sister. It was an empowering experience where we debriefed about a previous event where our Resident Director read off seriously deep questions and if the anonymous paper you had had answered 'yes', then you stood-up for your sister. It was great. In our debrief, my RA said the above quote that really stuck with me. I have always had a problem comparing myself with other people's seem-to-be-perfect lives with my imperfect life in its entirety. And I've come to realize that is a problem.




I found so much freedom in coming to the understanding that when one says, "I love myself", one also has to say (and mean), "I love ALL of myself and ALL of my faults." It's a tough thing to say and mean. If anything, this event has taught me that I am not alone; there are other young women living in the same dormitory with me that struggle with the same brokenness as I do-- And that's okay...

Ok, ok. I could on and on about feelings; I'm a girl for crying out loud. But, my goal for this blog and for everything I do is to empower young women (like YOU!) to be who you are, even with your brokenness, even with your faults, even with your mistakes--we all have them! Maybe even the same ones you are struggling with right now!
And, here's the best part: Everything is going to be okay :) 

xoxo,
Jayy

No comments:

Post a Comment